Mupirocin is generic drug for Topical Antibiotic usage. Brand Drug prescription – Bactroban. This drug is prescribed for Impetigo (streptococcal skin infections), eczema, inflammation of the hair follicles, and minor bacterial skin infections.
General Information of the drug
- Mupirocin nasal is used to prevent resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections from spreading during outbreaks of the infection.
- Mupirocin can also be used to treat diaper rash.
- Mupirocin is a unique, non-penicillin drug that works against the common microorganisms that cause impetigo in children.
- It is used to supplement other treatments for impetigo, although many doctors prefer oral medication.
- Mupirocin works by interfering with bacteria’s ability to make the proteins it needs for survival.
- Large amounts of mupirocin kill bacteria and smaller amounts stop the bacteria from growing. It may be effective against antibiotic- resistant bacteria.
- If you are allergic or sensitive to any of its ingredients – Do not use a mupirocin product.
- Mupirocin ointment is not for use in the eye.
- Taking other antibiotics while using mupirocin can lead to the development of resistant bacteria.
- Mupirocin nasal should be used only to treat Staphylococcus aureus infections, not to prevent them.
- Large quantities of mupirocin ointment should not be applied to an open wound because polyethylene glycol—used as a base in mupirocin ointment—may be absorbed through the wound and damage the kidneys.
- Long-term or chronic use of mupirocin may lead to secondary infection caused by drug-resistant bacteria or fungi.
- Do not use mupirocin nasal at the same time as any other prescription or over-the-counter nasal drug product.
Possible Side Effects ( Contact your doctor if you experience any side effect that’s unusual )
This drug could be in several form, as below :-
Rarely or Less Common Side Effect in using Ointment form :-
- stinging or pain where the ointment is applied;
- skin redness,
- dry skin,
- increased oozing from impetigo lesions.
Rarely or Less Common Side Effect in using Cream form :-
- abdominal pain,
- secondary infection,
- mouth ulcer.
Side Effects in using Nasal Ointment form :-
Most common : headache and runny nose.
Rarely or Less common side effects : respiratory congestion, sore throat, changes in sense of taste, burning or stinging, cough, and itching.
Pregnancy/Breast-feeding period :
The safety of using this drug during pregnancy is not known. Nursing mother who must use this drug is advisable to use infant formula instead, as it is not known if mupirocin passes into breast milk or not.